Sunday, August 11, 2013

Allison Rollins: Blog 1

Allison Rollins
Mrs. Wilhelmus/Wagener
AP Language
30 July 2013
Life’s Questions
            From the earliest philosophers to present day philosophers, two questions have been frequently asked, but have yet to have one specific answer.  These questions are, “Who are you?” and “Where does the world come from?” Sophie Amundsen, the main character from the novel Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder, found herself pondering these questions when she received them in the mail one afternoon. As I thought about these questions myself, I wondered is it even possible to answer these questions completely? Depending on your religious beliefs it may be simpler to figure out where the world comes from, but it is up to only one person to know who you are, and that is yourself.
            To start off, I will tell you a little bit about who I am. My name is Allison Taylor Rollins. I am from Evansville, Indiana. I am 16 years old, and I will be a junior at North High School. I am in many extra-curricular activities at North including: Teenpower, CIA, student council, and PEERS. I am also a runner and swimmer. One of my favorite things to do is hang out with my friends and family. They always know how to make me laugh, which makes life much more enjoyable. I also love to work hard and give my all at everything I do. In the future, I would love to go into the medical field. I have always been fascinated with the way the human body works. So, by now you may know a little more about who I am. These characteristics describe who I am and make me unique from everyone else.
            “Where does the world come from?” Science and religion are in a constant battle to determine this question in life. Science tells the story of how the earth appeared from a “bang” in space over a billion years ago. This theory is known as the Big Bang Theory. On the other hand, I do not believe in this theory. As long as I can remember I have been taught that God is the creator of this beautiful world we live in today. God made the world in six days and left the last day for rest. Although, one question still had me curious. Where does God come from? I had always been given the same answer: He’s always existed. He has no beginning or end. I still cannot wrap my mind around that to this day, nor do I think I will ever be able to. How can something come from nothing? Sophie asked herself this same question. In the end, I believe that God has always existed, and He alone created this marvelous world we live in today.
            All in all I think these questions are very difficult to answer. People search their whole life just to find two answers. Although everyone is unique, with different opinions, and beliefs, it is still important to figure out these life questions to know who you really are. Knowing who you really are gives you the chance to enjoy life and make a difference in this beautiful world we live in today.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment